Saturday, August 13, 2005

Doggie Backpack

Last night's project was something of a rush job, Tim having planned a hiking trip for today. He wanted Abbey to have a customized dog backpack so she could carry her own food, toy, and rope. Accordingly, I set to work. The fabric and notions came from Seattle Fabrics, a firm specializing in outdoor and recreational fabric. Here we have the scene of the crime:



And here is the result:



I attached the pack assembly to a store-bought dog harness so that a leash could be used easily when necessary.



The "saddlebags" are 8"x6", large enough to hold up to 6 dog meals, or 8, if necessary. Don't worry about Abbey bearing the weight--she's an amazingly strong little thing, with very powerful legs. And she loves to hike.



The undercarriage is fastened with the harness in front and a contoured buckle assembly in back. The back isn't meant to be cinched tight, just comfortably snug to keep the load from shifting.



Doesn't she look spiffy? Tim's got her out on a day hike today, so her load is light--just a toy, a snack, and her water bowl. I will report back on the success of the mission.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeana said...

Genius! I would patent that if I were you. =D

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Abbey is the cutest! I used to have a male dog that looked just like her. His name was Luigi, short little legs but strong. He was a great hiker, I could have used your saddlebags. Silly me I used to carry his food and water.

Happy Knitting,

ana
Venice Beach, California

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/
And my favorite charity
http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home