Thursday, August 04, 2005

Waterproof Mascara is a Necessity

If you go to see Stephanie Pearl-McPhee speak, please remember to wear waterproof mascara. Mine ran down my face and I had to surreptitiously remove copious black smudges sans the use of a tissue while not getting any of said black smudges on my Tivoli Tee. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, she is that amusing. By the time she had reached the end of her “Bacon Powder” story (which involves biscuits, Memphis, and bilingualism), I was actually crying into my knitting.

Allow me to set the stage: The kind folks at the Weaving Works had placed about 150 chairs in their upstairs classroom to accommodate the expected crowd, which was very kind of them, I thought. Unfortunately, they underestimated the draw of Ms. Pearl-McPhee, resulting in a standing-sitting-knitting-room only crowd of about 200(?) packed in like a factory-sealed 10-skeiner. Did I mention that this room, like most Seattle buildings, is not air-conditioned? It's not. I never realized how sticky one's hands can get on the old Addi Turbos when it's 100 degrees and you're knitting wool. It really cuts down on the speed. But here is the anxious crowd, about 10 minutes before the Yarn Harlot arrived:

Most people came in late, as you can see. I-5 traffic can be terrible.

Here is the Yarn Harlot herself, being blogged while blogging. Trippy, eh?


Then, Stephanie launched into her talk, which was excellent, I may say, and also nearly memorized, which must be a great relief to her. I wasn't going to buy the book because we're somewhat short of funds at the moment, but she was just so darn funny that I knew I couldn't leave the store without it.


Everyone was knitting as they listened. I cannot imagine how many yards of yarn have been looped around needles by women (and a few men) watching the Yarn Harlot speak.


We then adjourned downstairs for cake.


And finally, the Tivoli Tee in its big moment, a picture (somewhat blurry) with its idol.


All in all, a wonderful evening and a very funny lady who has found a way to support herself doing what she loves. Sleeping alone in strange hotel rooms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

It was great to meet you too. Stop by the Fiber Gallery sometime and say hi!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Thanks, I think I will. Can't have too much fiber, can I?

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home