Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Utterly remiss in my geographic duties*

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I last posted.

For my birthday, I got a skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk in the "Ocean" colorway, which I promptly turned into a "Stole in Spider Pattern," from Victorian Lace Today. The book was a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law, who showed his true superiority of mind by being the only person to get me knitting paraphernalia for Christmas.

And here is the lovely result:


The Sea Silk is everything everyone says it is. It is shiny, and slinky, and crunchy, and all around good. Oh, and it has about 10,000 white nupps that have to be picked out of the yarn as you knit, resulting in strange little nupp piles on the arm of the couch. But I'm not bitter. My skein didn't smell of the sea when dry, but did smell faintly salty when wet.

I wanted to take pictures of the knitting and blocking, but we suffered an acute battery shortage around the house over the Christmas season, and it's only in the last week that I've been able to unite the technology and power supply necessary to take pictures.

Another reason I haven't posted in a while is that there's been something else taking up a bit of time.

You see, we've decided to move to Brazil.

Not permanently, just for two years. We're going to teach at a mission school there. So now I get to try to learn enough Portuguese to find out how to obtain yarn in Rio de Janeiro. But that's a topic for another post.


* The title is taken from a CD I dearly loved as a child, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, as sung by Rockapella. In a particular song about state capitals, they forget Pierre, South Dakota, so the mayor comes on the song and tells them they have been "remiss in their geographic duties."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeana said...

I heart Rockapella.

7:30 PM  
Blogger kamden said...

You guys are moving to Brazil? That's exciting! Can I come visit you there?

Good luck!

3:54 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

The shawl is lovely. That book is on my wishlist. BTW, will you be taking your books to Brazil? And remember, look at all the shoes, too! Whoot! Brazil. Nice...

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home