Friday, March 02, 2007

Gagh! Still here!

Sorry, blog-friends. I have been remonstrated by the husband of a regular reader (you know who you are) for not posting more often. All I can say is mea culpa.

And what's more, this is going to be a lame, picture-less post. Sorry.

So, Brazil. Yes, we are moving to Rio de Janiero this summer. We'll be teaching History and Science at a school in the Barra da Tijuca neighborhood, commonly known as Barra. (I've read that the "rr" in "Barra" is pronounced like the "tt" in "butter." This makes no sense to me, but I'll go with it. My husband has chosen an elaborate tongue roll instead. I think I'll go with the path of least resistance.)

In response to my last post's comments, yes, if you know us and want to visit us, you'll be very welcome. We have no idea what our living arrangements will be like but we'll figure something out.

Rio is a very beautiful city known for its beaches, bikinis, Carnival celebrations, cocaine syndicates, and crushingly poor favelas. It also has a tropical climate and about 11 million people, both of which will take some getting used to for two people from Western Washington.

We'll be gone for two years, during which I intend to
  • Learn Portuguese
  • Learn to cook Brazilian food
  • Knit a lot of cotton
  • Not get tan (I realize I'm asking for the moon here, but I'd like to put off the wrinkles as long as possible. That and the skin cancer.)
Since this is a knitting blog, I'll be doing in-depth coverage of the knitting scene in Rio, which looks pretty sparse, to say the least.

Speaking of knitting, I've got a couple of super-secret gift projects going, which severly limits the blog fodder. I do have some socks to show you, though, which I will do soon. Soon, I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home