Thursday, February 09, 2006

One sock's struggle against all odds

The sock in her native habitat perches warily on her ball of yarn, aware that a predator is nearby.



The predator approaches. In terror, the sock jumps from the ball of yarn, flattening herself against the window sill in a desperate attempt to blend in with her surroundings.



Too late! The sock has been spotted! The vicious beast sniffs her cashmere-y goodness.



The above drama is brought to you by Sockapaloooza Sock #1, who likes long soaks in lukewarm water and dreams of becoming an actress. I dyed up the yarn to self-stripe in lavender and apple green with interludes of yellow, orange, and rose, and I think it looks okay. Not my colors, certainly, but I hope my sock pal likes them!

So I've been going a bit mail-order crazy in the last few days, and two boxes arrived today. One was dye from MisterArt.com for the dyeing business, and one was THIS:



5 ounces of cormo batts from Ebay seller Mmfwool, who is now tops in my book. The cormo is perfect--almost like cotton, it's so fine and, well, cottoney. I can't wait to spin it up. Cormo is my favorite wool to touch, but the crimp can make it a little hard to spin. I'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock looks great! I'm sure that your pal will love it. I am thinking of braving the self-striping dye process this weekend...hopefully it will turn out half as nice as yours :)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

I love the striping in your socks! Tonight I'll start knitting the Olympics socks out of the Bombay that you dyed. I did a gauge swatch yesterday and the colors are wonderful! I'll send a picture along when they're finished.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Shanidy, the key to self-striping, as far as I've found, is figure-eight ties. At least one for every two feet of skein. Otherwise, it's a horrible, tangled mess.

Heide, what pattern will you use with Bombay?

9:08 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

I LOVE those colors - I'm going to remember you so I can get some when I've got my stash worked down a bit!!!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

My knitting also faces such dangers! In my home, the wily predator is a certain rat who enjoy nibbling on just about anything fibery. ;)

Also, cashmere socks? How great! Will they wear well?

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home